It has been 45 years since the landing of Apollo 11 at Tranquility Base. It was seen as and still is one of the greatest feats of human kind. For this years anniversary here are a few interesting facts about the Moon.
1. Tides are caused by the Moon’s gravitational pull on the oceans, causing a bulge of water on either side of the Earth.
2. The Moon is drifting farther from the Earth each year, 3.8cm/y
3. All 24 feet that have touched the moon, 12 people, belonged to American males
4. Despite Lunar missions being named “Apollo” Apollo was the Greek god of the Sun, with Artemis the goddess of the Moon
5. NASA plans to send more people to the Moon by 2019
6. During the Cold War America considered nuking the Moon in order to show strength over the USSR
7. There are “Moon Quakes” caused by the gravitational pull of the Earth
8. The Moon isn’t perfectly round, more egg shaped
9. There are trees planted across the US that had visited the Moon as seeds
10. Gravity on the Moon is 17% of that on Earth